Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Results are in

So I decided to live off-base. I went and looked at the on-base housing one last time and realized that the house they offered actually has about the same sized yard as the house off-base. So off-base it is. I am a little nervous, but who wouldn't be living in another country when you don't speak the language? I know that everything will be fine though. The thing is we only get one move. The Navy will only move our stuff once and I know some of you are thinking, who cares, right? BUT Out here NO ONE has a truck. There are very few SUV's too. So moving on our own would be difficult and expensive. With that being the case I would rather live off-base. Ha! On or off-base the housing is paid for. Off-base though, we could actually make money. They pay for our rent (the exact amount) and they they give us an extra allowance for utilities (and utilities here are very expensive) BUT since I picked a newer house we will not be spending as much on utilities and we will be able to pocket the leftovers. So off-base I think will be better and we will be able to really make the most of our time here.

Tuesday I went off-base with a friend to look at a house she might live in and then we went to look at the Navy housing for me. Well, we got a little lost trying to find the train station. Let me just say it is EXTREMELY difficult to ask for directions when the other person is speaking another language... I did listen to my Japanese lesson that morning, but I couldn't remember how to say station (and sweet Brian took our Japanese phrase book with him... I am sure he needs it more than I do). I seriously think we asked for directions from 4 different people. Most of them do speak a little English they are just reluctant to use it. But one of the guys was telling us to go through the tunnel ahead, and he did use the word tunnel, but I thought he was saying something in Japanese. Luckily my friend caught what he was saying. We did finally make it to the train station and we got where we needed to go, but it was confusing for a bit.

So it has been exciting to say the least finding our way around. Today I think I might go visit the 100 yen store (basically the dollar store back in the states). I heard it is interesting so I will have to check it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, and just so you all know, I am writing from the future. I am 17 hours ahead of Ca time. Easy way to figure it out is ad 5 hours to your time and then switch it to day (or night). So for some of you, I got your advice after I made the decision. And most of you who said to tell Brian Happy B-day, I got it on the 12th. That's ok though cause I didn't get to talk to him on the 11th so you're all in the clear!

4 comments:

randy said...

Very nice, glad to here you went for the jump. I have a slew of Japanese anime if you really want to brush up with out going out doors... hahahahah

anyway, have fun, be safe and i think arigato means thank you.. ;-)

randy said...

Very nice, glad to here you went for the jump. I have a slew of Japanese anime if you really want to brush up with out going out doors... hahahahah

anyway, have fun, be safe and i think arigato means thank you.. ;-)

Mk said...

eki is station in Japanese. if you say "something" doko desu ka? it means where is " something"? For example. . "Yokohama eiki doko desu ka?" means. . where is the Yokohama station?

Hicks Family said...

Hey Joy here are a few words I picked up from dating Kara...

Ohio gozimaz (Good Morning), doeiy tashi mashte (can't remember, but it sounds like don't touch your mustache, so I remembered it), Darn I can't remember the others...I will send them your way as I remember, but more for a laugh than to help since the spelling is all wrong and the pronunciations are wrong, and I haven't used the words in over 5 years...so, take them for what they are or aren't..

J