Sunday, November 9, 2008

I really need to Learn Japanese

So yeah, I really need to learn Japanese. Or at least more than what I know. Brian and I have been out and about a few times. I went today with a new friend and we got a little lost... We didn't go the wrong direction or anything, but we were quite confused and probably switched trains more than necessary. The problem is most everything is written in Kanji and Katakana and I can't read that. I can only read the stuff that is written with actual English letters. So you can imagine how difficult it might be looking at a train station map and wondering what train to get on when a) we can't read where we are, and b) we can't read where we are going.

I know a few key words like Please, Thank you, hello, and excuse me. The main phrase I know is do you understand English. Well, so far everyone says no or they say a little, but continue to speak in Japanese. I think I need to show more effort for them to show more effort. I KNOW they have to be lying though. Seriously, I was told they study English 3 years in middle school, 3 years in high school, and 3 years in a University. That's a LOT. SO when they tell me they don't understand I have a hard time believing them. But how can I complain, I am in Japan.

We have met some very helpful people. A few have actually approached us and offered to help. I am sure we obviously looked confused. But more often than not I find myself frantically saying, "Sumemasen (as I point at the train)" and then say the name of the place I am trying to go. Then they usually say yes or no and I know whether or not to get on. "Sumemasen" (I am not sure if I spelled that correctly), it means Excuse me. It is quite interesting.

I find that the most difficult thing is that I keep wanting to speak Spanish. I do not know that much Spanish, but when someone is giving direction in Japanese I catch myself saying "Si" instead of "Hai" (or however you spell that). I have also said gracias instead of Arigato. Hopefully they did not think I was being racist in some strange way. So it has been fun finding our way around a different country. A little scary at times cause we really don't know what we are doing, and not being able to read Kanji makes it quite difficult. But it is fun!

Brian is gone. He left today. Lucky us we are already experiencing how often his ship's schedule changes. He wasn't supposed to leave until tomorrow, but Friday night we got a call saying they might leave Sat. So Sat we were kinda waiting and wondering if we would get a call... by Sat evening we got a call that said he would leave Sunday (today). And they did. He is supposed to only be gone for ten days, but with how much I have heard his schedule changes I am not going to set my heart on anything. I know some of you are thinking it is crazy that he is gone so soon. We did just get here a week ago. BUT we are lucky. There are many families that the husbands (or spouse in the military) came over a month before, and then the family gets here and they are on their own for the first month. Or other families come and the husband (or father) has to leave the next day. SO not only are we lucky to have been able to travel here together, but also because he was able to be here the entire first week. It is no doubt an adjustment, but we are having fun, and making the most of this opportunity.

Sorry that we have no pictures or video. It will be coming soon, I just can't access the internet through my computer right now. Hopefully we will have our own house soon and then I will have wireless internet and can show you plenty of pics and video! But for now you can make do with some really long posts!

No comments: