Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Lovely Getting Lost Story

This weekend I went to the Tokyo area to stay with a friend that I know from Ca. She was throwing a Thanksgiving thing on Saturday and I stayed the night and went to church with her on Sunday. Sunday night I got off the train at about 10:05pm. Kinda late. Before I tell you how I got lost I must say that I just moved into my place on Friday. I had walked to the train station only twice and had not walked home from the train station at all yet.

So, it's after ten and I knew I would probably get lost (expecially cause it was dark) but I figured I would find my way. As I was walking I came upon the first intersection. I felt confident in the direction I chose, and then not too much later I came upon another intersection. This one I was not sure where to go. I chose one way and after five minutes knew it was wrong. I turned around and went the other way. I walked on that road for a good twenty minutes hoping to see something familiar. Then a train passes parrellel to the road I am on. I immediately knew I was going the wrong way. I turned around and at this point was getting a little worried.

There were cars and taxis going by here and there. I thought of flagging down a taxi, but I couldn't do that cause I only had 500 yen (about $5). So there I was at yet another intersection pondering how I was to get home. I was trying to read the signs and then a car pulled up to a red light. I looked at the car and thought, "Maybe I should ask for directions..." I must have stared too long, cause the next thing I heard was the guy locking his doors. Great, I thought, I am scared of them and they are scared of me. I continued walking, retracing my steps, deep in thought. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a sign with a person on it. I thought it was a real person watching me, and I just about had a heart attack. Yeah, yeah, I know very funny.

I decided at this point I was not going to make it home unless I tried to ask for directions. Luckily I remembered the name of the road I live on. So I see men walking and of course I didn't want to ask them. Then, there was a girl crossing the street. So I said, "Sumemasen, Nagae Doko des ka?" (Where is Nagae). through her broken English and my broken Japanese and a lot of chirades we decided that I would walk with her cause she was going in the same direction. At the point where we needed to part ways she said to go straight and then I would run into the intersection for Nagae. At that point I didn't know where I was, but I was VERY grateful for her help. So I walked on. Maybe five minutes later I was able to recognize my surroundings and I made it home safely. I got home at about 11:40. It took me twice as long to get home since I got lost, but it was exciting!

I am very grateful for the kindness of Japanese people. And I am also very glad that this is such a safe country! Don't worry mom, that doesn't mean that I am not going to take certain safety precautions. I am slowly but surely learning Japanese and finding my way around! That way when some of you visit we won't be getting lost!

1 comment:

dad_mom_barker said...

Brian and Joy

We are enjoying reading about your great adventures. Stay strong and enjoy this time together and away from each other.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Love

Dad and Mom Barker