Sunday, November 2, 2008

Day 2

So day one went well. Brian checked into his command. I went with him and got to see his ship. Smaller than I thought it would be. Brian said the guys on it are "weird". Not quite sure how he meant it, but I am sure part of the reason is they spend all their time on a little ship. Hopefully Brian won't turn into a weirdo. He has never been on a ship before and I think it is quite a different life. Nothing he has ever been interested in, but oh well.

We went off base and walked around. The food looked great! But we had no yen. I was starving too so it wasn't helping. Seriously, yesterday morning when we walked out of the hotel it literally smelled like rice. I guess that means we are in Japan. I still can't sleep past 4am. I was super tired last night, and it took all I had to stay awake until 8:30. I was trying best I could to force myself to adjust to this time. Even though I woke up super early at least I got in enough sleep and slowly I am sure I will be on the right time.

This whole week we have "area orientation" stuff. Hopefully by the end of the week we will have an idea of where we will live and hopefully have a car too. Apparently this is the time of year that cars are expensive cause not many people are moving here. A lot of people (I am talking about military not regular civilians) move here during the summer time so they don't have to yank their kids out of school. So cars are expensive and by that I mean they are $2-3,000 (the ones on base anyway). The cheapest we found was $1,000 so we will probably call on it and try to talk them down. We do drive on the opposite side of the road and the steering wheel is also on the opposite side. We will be taking a test to get our drivers license on Friday! Apparently pedestrians have a ridiculous amount of right of way. They sometimes just jump in front of cars practically. I was told that one woman was here for only two weeks and she hit a person! Yikes! I will be driving EXTRA careful here! That is the last thing I want to happen.

1 comment:

Aim said...

Holly crap! I just cant believe you are in Japan! That is totally crazy! You describe it perfectly too, just how I'd imagine, smelling like rice and all. haha.

We want pictures!

love you guys!