Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nomi Network

Alright this is a plug for my friend Diana Mao she has started a non-profit organization called Nomi Network to help girls who have been trapped in sex-trafficking. She has presented her idea to idea blob and is a finalist for the $10,000 prize. This money will really be able to get this thing going so please vote! Today is the last day to vote so PLEASE go now! It takes only 3 minutes to register and vote. Think of the lives you could help change in only 3 minutes! I know we are all busy, but 3 minutes out of our lives is NOTHING and especially when you compare it to the lives of these girls. Please look at her site too. Read what she's all about. This is an amazing non-profit. 

Go to ideablob.com now! Vote! and then you can come back and read the rest of my blog :)

So, I got an email from a friend about this today. I thought it was interesting to get this email for two reasons 1) I actually already got an email from another friend about voting for this and I just deleted it cause I didn't want to do the hassle (even though I have plenty of time). Then, today at work some of us were talking about the red-light district and where it is here in Japan. One of the girls went out to dinner last night with a group and they walked past a "buy a drink bar" (which for those of you who don't know is apparently a place where guys buy a girl a drink and they can do anything they want with her, and I have no idea how far that goes). So this girl was saying how she has heard of these places, but it was kinda crazy actually seeing one. She said the girls were dressed just like hookers (cause they are) and the "dancing" that was going on was ridiculous. It is just so sad to me that these places exist. These poor girls... who knows how they got into this, but I am sure most of them feel trapped, some may be, and some may just think there is no other option. No matter the reason for their being there, it is sad. Abuse, neglect, trauma, sadness... it's a terrible sad way to live life. I wish I could just go there one night and take them all away from there... though I know it would never be that easy.

So after all this I come home to an email about my friend in SB who is starting Nomi Network. How awesome is that? The second email I have received about this and you can bet I definitely did not delete this one. I know most of you got an email from me and I really hope you take the time to go vote. Please know that Nomi Network is not going to reach every country (well, who knows someday it might), but I mentioned my thoughts on Japan, and every country has junk like that, but Nomi Network is actually specifically for Cambodia.

So anyway, hope you all vote! Go vote now if you haven't already! If you know people who will vote call them up and tell them to vote! This needs to happen!

VOTE!

No comments: