Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Hayama Police...


So yes, I had a nice little encounter with the Hayama Police. I was just thinking it was time for bed when I hear Shugo growling at the door. I look out the window and there is a police man in my yard, poking his head through my open door saying "Konbanwaaaaaaaaa". I, in my beautiful Japanese say, "Just a minute". Run down the stairs with Shugo trailing close behind ready to attack. They of course take one look at me and give a little sigh of, "Uh oh, hope she speaks Japanese". They say, "Boxer?" as they are looking right at Shugo. I say no, cause well, he's a mut really and he possibly has boxer in him, but we have no idea. They say some things in Japanese and I stopped trying to understand. I have been told that the police hold you to a different standard if you speak Japanese so unless you are fluent you are better off playing entirely dumb. So I of course followed this great advice. My favorite word is wakaranai (I don't understand) anyway.

So they called someone on their handy cell phones to translate. The basic story is that I left the sliding door open so Shugo could chew his bone outside. I went upstairs to jump on the computer and wasn't entirely paying attention to him. He came upstairs though not too long after me as usual and all was fine. I don't always pay attention to him cause he isn't always in the same room with me. I did forget the door was open downstairs and I think he went for a little walk... someone called the police and they showed up at the door.

So they asked if he has a collar and if I keep him on a leash. When we are gone we tie Shugo in the yard and at that time, yes he has a collar on. He also is wearing one when I take him for walks, but if we are just hanging around the house he is not wearing one. I told them this and how sometimes I have the door open while I am home so he can go outside. He must have gone down the road and I didn't notice...

One of the policemen seemed to like Shugo. He was petting him, but the other seemed a little scared. Any sudden movement though and Shugo dashed away and barked at them. He is so skiddish. I think he was more so because it was dark, but HOW FREAKING HILARIOUS IS THAT??? I asked if everything was ok and if I was going to get a fine. They said no. Someone just called cause he was roaming around alone. He didn't bite anyone or do anything wrong. All is ok, but they did take down all my info. My dependent ID card, military driver's license, and passport. Yikes... I guess it better not happen again. I am wondering if maybe he wanders a lot when I am not paying attention and whoever called just finally got fed up??? Who knows, either way it was a funny event. I really wanted to get a picture of the policemen with Shugo, but I figured it might not come across well with the language barrier...

2 comments:

Aim said...

haha, thats a funny story. ya know the more I do with my dogs (activities outside the fence) the more i realize that most people/places are not very pro-dog. Even though most people own a pet of some sort. Mostly dogs for that matter! Silly.
Glad you didn't get in too much trouble.

The Shaft's said...

Yikes, one of the many reasons I left my BOXER back in the states. Good thing everything was ok. :)