Monday, November 23, 2009

Yabusame!!


Check this out!!! The saddle I thought was VERY interesting. Almost looks like an endurance saddle, and the stirrups are just something else. This is by far the COOLEST thing I have (and probably will) photograph the entire time we have been in Japan! I have never watched horseback archery before and definitely never seen Samurai horseback archery (Yabusame). It was really cool. Of course it only made me want to tackle one of those little Japanese people and jump on their horse to try it myself, but I thought better of it. Seriously though, it was awesome! And apparently Santa Claus is in Japan, he was trying to hide behind that flag though... Melody, this guy is giving your dad a run for his money :)
How cool is that Bridal and reins??
The samurai!
This I thought was awesome! Reminds me of MXC, and I can just hear the voice over... "Charge!"
Yes, even chicks are Samurai :) This might be my favorite... great colors. And look at her hat... it is tied on like a freakin' halter. Weird...
This guy looks like he is running with the horse... if he moves his arms like that the horse goes faster too :) Hahaa!

great details. I want those chaps. I bet dad would wear them too :)


This horse looks so nice and collected, but that is the trickery of a camera... he was actually limping on his front right. He was limping significantly (though I am sure it was worse because of the deep sand) but I was still surprised that they rode him.


This is me, Kahori, and Ryo... somehow my face looks fat. And they make me look really red... and not just my hair.

Of course though this horse looks nothing like Almond aside from the color, he still reminded me of him.... Almond! For all you in the states... be warned that I will be spending much of my time in March with my horse... though all are welcome to come along :)
Couldn't pass this up. The guy on the right actually spoke great English!
And Kahori... we are both officially samurai now :)
The end... that was my Sunday. It was cold, but SOOOO worth it. I would have gone in my bathing suit and got frost bite if I had to... it was cool.

3 comments:

TMichel said...

Awesome pictures Joy. That looked like a blast!

The Shaft's said...

Such great pictures Joy! Love them.

Aim said...

oh my goodness! this is amazing! just the event in itself looks like such an experience, but the photos...aho joy! you really know how to capture the moment!