Monday, August 31, 2009

Fujisan

Sorry your not getting any good images... I really don't want to open them and resize and save to jpeg... to much time will be lost :) But up top is a pick of us at the very top. We found a place that blocked the wind and snuggled to keep warm. Brian bought this $4 Hot Chocolate and it was awesome cause it was a great hand warmer... tasted like crap though. We should've not opened it and just continued to use it to warm our hands. Below is a pic of us at the top. Yay for us. We took approximately 4 hours to get to the top, but that was with a 30 minute unnecessary break cause Brian ran into a friend from his ship and we stopped to chat. Average is 5-6 hours, and fast is 3 hours. I think we did good for our first time.

So there is much to update on, but I will have to do one post at a time, cause I am just not interested in posting about everything all at once... SOOOOO, to start... last Saturday (Aug 22) we climbed Mt. Fuji. It was pretty awesome. Everyone talks about climbing Fuji as if it was something they did once and will never do again. It usually rains on people and isn't much fun, but we lucked out on some great weather! It was pretty darn cold at the top, but we were fine.

A little Japanese for you.... When you meet someone they will generally call you Barkersan (Mrs. Barker). So when I heard people calling Fuji Fujisan, I thought they were funny cause we don't call our mountains Mr. Fuji. But actually San is also another way of saying mountain. So there you go.

Some wise words from a Japanese man on Mt. Fuji... As we were hiking up a man started talking to us in English. His English was pretty darn good and he said, "Hello Mr. Navy!" (Brian was wearing a Navy shirt). We asked him how many times he has climbed Fuji and this was his answer. "Ahhh, many times, yes. Many times. I think Fujisan like pregnancy. After pregnancy my wife say it is too difficult and she doesn't want any more baby, but then after few years pass, she want baby again. I climbed Fujisan many times and every time I climb I think, 'why am I doing this?' and I tell myself I won't do it again, but then the next year comes and I go again. So, Fujisan like pregnancy."

So there you go, wise words from a Japanese man on Fujisan :)




1 comment:

Mk said...

ahhahaha, that cracked me up!!!! fujisan like pregnancy.