Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The FUNNIEST thing I have seen in Japan

So this morning I witnessed an event that I will cherish for life. Every time I think about it I laugh! Ha! So I am on my way to base to deal with some paperwork stuff. I am getting off the train, it's about 8:30am and there are tons of people everywhere. Luckily I was going in the same direction as the crowd. 

As I am walking I look down and see a girl in some crazy pointy healed boots. Not unusual at all. I begin to ponder what life is like as a Japanese woman. Everyone is so fashionable. They look great, fantastic right? Not quite. Is fashion really so important that you must give up your own comfort. We aren't even just talking about comfort here, we're talking about real life feet problems, back problems, leg problems, all the crap that happens to your body when you where the oh so cute shoes. Don't get me wrong, I like heals as much as the next girl (well, maybe not as much), but there comes a point when you must stop and think, "Hmm, I am going to be walking an awful lot today, maybe I should be practical and where comfy shoes". Right? Shouldn't women think that? Don't they? Apparently not. Cause every woman I see (well, at least most) is wearing some kind of heal. And a lot of them are high ones, with the skinny end that you could probably use as a weapon... 

So as I am pondering all these thoughts and just truly wondering how they can do it day after day so painlessly graceful... BAM!! The girl who's shoes I am staring at all of a sudden crashes to the ground (almost to the ground)! We were going down some stairs and she must have sensed what I was thinking, cause all of a sudden she trips, arms flail out to the side like she is preparing to take flight. Hits the next step, falling faster as she goes. Her arms reaching out to those around her to hold her up. She practically had both her arms around two men that were walking beside her, used them as support and somehow never made it to the ground, but finished the staircase still standing. She frantically apologized and said excuse me and the men just looked at her weird. Just imagine the staircase was packed. People everywhere. It's no wonder this girl never hit the ground, and it was good that she didn't cause she could've been trampled by the herd of Japanese people.

I couldn't help but laugh the whole way to base. It was really the funniest thing I have every seen. And what perfect timing as I was wondering why it is that they wear such impractical shoes... So graceful and yet not. Wish someone could've been there with me cause it was freaking hilarious!

3 comments:

Kristan. said...

Yay for uber-cute, very impractical, fashionable stilettos! To me, there are two types of heels. The ones that are cute enough to buy and are somehow magically comfortable enough that you can last a few hours in, and then the ones that are VERY sexy that you know you can only get in the car, get to where you're going, stand there (preferably sit there) looking pretty in them, get in the car and go home. Walking more than 2 blocks in the sexy shoes is a very bad idea, but hey, you look cute in them, right? But you're right, I don't understand the concept of walking long distances in "make-me-want-to-amputate-my-feet-off" heels either...

The Zauss Family Blog said...

Hey - I agree with Kristan. She is so right about the types of heels we wear. Yeah we - ME. I love high heels. Some I only wear if I am going to be sitting longer than standing and certainly not walking more than a few feet. That is so stupid. If I did,I would be removing those shoes so fast and walking barefooted for sure. I do love to wear comfortable high heals. They make me look tall. I need that at 5'0". They make your legs look longer and your leg muscles look lengthy and very sexy. I feel sexy when I wear them with a very swishy dress or skirt. Usually those shoes don't have skinny heels and not so tall. Some of my favorites have some platform under the ball of the foot so the heel doesn't have to be huge to look really tall. They feel better.

Nichole said...

Joy,
I can't decide which is worse... the girl falling down the stairs or the fact that it is such a great source of entertainment for all of us. Poor thing...

I was at a Christmas party the other night and definitely wore a pair of those "I'm sitting more than walking" shoes, only walking into the house to go to the bathroom was too painful. I ended up barefoot by the end of the night. During the night I only wondered once why I was choosing to torture myself with those shoes... one glance down at the beautiful shoes helped me remember.

Love you and can't wait to see you in your own heels!!!