Tuesday, March 3, 2009

An Adventure


So yesterday I had quite an adventure. I dropped my car off in the morning at the shop to get some work done, and they said it would be done by the afternoon, so I thought "Great! I won't have to ride home at night in the dark." SO in thinking this, I wisely left the bike lights in the car. Well, they call me later that afternoon to say they made a mistake and they won't have the car ready  until tomorrow. Oh well, no big deal, I thought I would be riding my bike home initially anyway. I didn't remember until it was too late that I needed to get the bike lights out of the car. I didn't get off work until 8pm, it is dark, cold, and it has started to rain. Sounds like fun. It takes me about 40 minutes to ride home. Everyone I work with lives on base and none of them really have a car anyway. So I am stuck. I could take the train, but I would probably spend twice as much time walking in the rain if I did. So biking it is. I tied a plastic bag to my backpack and hoped for the best. I made it home in one piece, but it was freezing!

At first my hands went numb. I was trying to wiggle them often so they would work when I needed to use the break. Then, by some miracle they were warm and all was fine. But then my legs were freezing. I am getting soaked cause there isn't much of a bike lane on  most of the roads here so I am in a ditch with water going everywhere. Then I realized that it is not just raining but it is freaking snowing! It wasn't sticking, but it was snowing and I was cold. It was interesting though. I made it home and I jumped right in the shower to warm up. I think the snot dripping down my face the whole time kept me pretty warm so hopefully I won't get sick. You can see in the video that my toes are bright red, and you can't really see how wet I am cause I was soaked all the way through. There was more snow attached to my clothing, but by the time I got the camera most of it had melted.

2 comments:

Mk said...

hahahhahah, I was biking in the snow that night too except I thought it was nice and pretty :) I was biking from my gym to my house so it took about 2 minutes. hee hee hee.

The Zauss Family Blog said...

Wow Joy, you are tough. It's a good thing you live such a crazy life in Japan or you wouldn't have much to write about :0) NIce. I am so glad you only had a 40 minute ride through rain and snow and darkness. I all sounds like a wonderful story to share with your kids someday. "I rode my bike home from work, in the dark, in the rain and snow - up hill all the way" :0) Ya Know?! Good story! Love ya - glad you got warm and safe and dry and especially not hurt in the dark all the way home. Miss ya!