Sunday, February 8, 2009

I got lost


So this video has nothing to do with me getting lost, but I figured it is a good story to post it with. This is near my house. They were doing road construction on this sidewalk for a bit and it was kinda weird to see their itty bitty machines (Randy and Jon, you would have appreciated this). This video really doesn't do it all justice. 

So we have our own little craigslist kinda thing out here and I posted an ad on it for pet sitting. This lady only needed me to take her dog for a walk 3 times. I followed her to her house to meet her dog and everything. Well, there are a lot of turns on the way to her house and not as many landmarks so I knew I would need her to give me written directions as well. A week later it is time to go take care of the dog. I get off work at 6pm (it is dark) and I get in the car to realize I left the directions at home. I figure I will be fine cause I had been there before... how hard could it be? I live about a 30 minute drive in the opposite direction and I really didn't want to go home first. So I head out. I did all right, or so I thought. I find myself in Japanese suburbia-land. I drove down every freaking street hoping to find her house (that I knew I would recognize). I thought of going home and getting the directions, but that would take me SO long to do! I could do this... wrong. I spent a good 1 1/2 hrs driving around only to go home to get the directions, and then go back to walk the damn dog. Ugh! By the time I got to the house it was past 8:30pm. The poor dog was so excited to see me. She was so good, no pee in the house :) I felt bad so I took her for a 45 minute walk instead of 30 min (which is what I had agreed to). So after all of that, I got home about 10:30pm. It was SUPER frustrating and in the end, the place I was driving around (when I had no directions) was kinda close... and yet totally not. I definitely would have never found it without the directions... it sucked. One thing I learned is that Japanese road construction at night looks like a freaking amusement park. Lots and lots of colorful signs and flashing lights. 

1 comment:

Aim said...

oh man joy! I hear ya! there is nothing more frustrating than getting lost. Especially when you have time constraints. I personally am famous for coming within minutes of my destination and then somehow thinking I've gone the wrong way at the last second and turning around to drive in the opposite direction. Then I realize I was so close and grrr! haha