Monday, October 12, 2009

Typhoon



So... we had a typhoon last week. What is a typhoon you might be wondering?? Well, basically it is a storm. Wind, rain, maybe comparable to a baby hurricane. And by baby I mean probably like a 1 day old baby who is sleeping after a meal... not bad. Everyone made a HUGE deal about this storm. We had one about two weeks ago and it was literally NOTHING. So this one, people were making an even bigger deal about and I thought I was going to see something exciting. I felt like I was wating for the world to end... There was a lot of wind and rain Wednesday night. There was, I will admit that. BUT Thursday, the base closed down as it was in TCCOR 1. TCCOR is a rating system that only the military uses (and it may only be the military here in Japan... I'm not sure) but they use it and #1 is the "worst". Apparently, our base (of all the ones in Japan) won't close for anything, but even our base was closed on Thursday so that is really saying something about the seriousness of this Typhoon. Which was cool for me, I got a paid day off. It was lame for Brian though cause he was supposed to be in port for three weeks, but because of the storm they had to pull out for a week so the ship wouldn't be damaged by the storm.... LAME.

Below is my neighbor Shin. He is super nice and apparently crazy because he had this tree propped up much too quickly... Another neighbor told me that this storm was the worst one in about 5-10 years... yikes, no wonder why they were all freaking out. Don't get me wrong it was a storm, but it really wasn't THAT bad. I think it hit other parts of Japan much worse...

No comments: