Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Things that Make me Laugh :)

Ok, I absolutely LOVE talking with Japanese people and learning more about their culture. Last Saturday Brian and I had our friends Ryo and Kahori over for dinner. There English is ok, not great, but good enough to converse a little. It is SUPER fun to get to know them better and of course we both love to practice speaking another language.

First of all, I made enchiladas for dinner. They enjoyed watching me make it and even helped out a bit. At one point I had my hands messy with the sauce and asked them to open a can... apparently a Japanese can opener is pretty different than an American one. They couldn't figure it out and I definitely couldn't explain it to them. I WISH I had a camera cause it was HILARIOUS! They almost looked like the guys in Zoolander hitting the computer like a bunch of monkeys... ok, maybe not that bad, but it was pretty funny.

The best part though is email. I sent Ryo an email to say thank you for coming over and he replied that next time we should go to their house. Let me tell you though, his English really isn't that great and it is really confusing in email. Please read:

Hi,Joy

OK it's good.
Then we treat you to a traditional Japanese-style dish. I do not understand whether you are delicious,and please come to our house to play without hesitation when Brian is going on a business trip.If it gets a telephone, it is OK. We want to learn American culture, English, too and teach you Japanese culture, Japanese.

The Japanese stay was limited, too. Please absorb more it in things of short time

We do help.

Thanks,
Ryo&Kahori

Clearly, his English is WAY better than my Nijongo, and you can figure out what he is trying to say for the most part (there are seriously parts though that I have NO idea what he is saying), but so so funny. And I swear I am NOT making fun of him. It is awesome that they try so hard and I absolutely LOVE IT! It just brings tears to my eyes cause I am laughing so much :) It just makes me wonder what I sound like when I speak Japanese... what am I really saying?

4 comments:

Kristan. said...

That's effing hilarious. It makes me nervous to learn another language because I know I'd mess it up bad and the foreign people would be staring at me like I'm an asshat, but hey! That's how you learn. Oh well. Love!

The Shaft's said...

This is SO true. I often have Japanese (men) mimic me when I say wak-arimasen. Because I am so animated and make "sorry" noises. It is funny! And I have a friend too that emails me like that, she says bone for born and I laugh my ass off. I LOVE it. I am sure we sound like total boobs when speaking English.

Aim said...

ahahahahah *breath* ahahahaha. oh my goodness, that was a funny email!

we do help!

Gordita said...

please come over and play when brian is gone....ummm.....I think they totally meant what they said there. I would watch out. lol. this was great. I love your posts. keep them coming!